Monday, December 8, 2008

NET11 Learning Log: Top 5 Tips for New Bloggers

What an exciting week!

First I had no computer (crashed and 'died' on Friday 28th due to a suspected virus...I think it's just Windows Vista...I bought the computer brand new in March 2008 and it has already had the C-Drive replaced in June 2008!!!), so I borrowed time on other people's computers (very late at night and not conducive to anything serious) to try and finish a lengthy 2-part submission due Friday 5th Dec...which was completely lost on the computer that crashed.

Yes, frustrating, but thankfully most of it was still in my head.

I got my computer back on Saturday (HOORAY!!!), spent Sunday downloading things onto it so I could use it and finish the submission - and here I am!!

Needless to say, this is the very first post on my blog which was created on Wednesday 3rd Dec.

Top 5 Tips for New Bloggers Like Me!

1. Read, read, read...what others have written (primarily on the student message board, but then on their blogs). There are some great ideas out there waiting to be shared. Thanks to the guys n gals in NET11...and don't forget to leave comments on their pages :)

2. Click on everything on your blog page so you get to know what their purpose is - and so you can function better!

3. Try to make your page as visually interesting as you can, so that you and others feel welcome reading it.

4. Post regularly and keep your comments current.

5. Don't post long messages like I just did...people will just switch off...my next and succeeding posts will be as brief as I can when trying to still be coherent.

Good night and thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. Nice work Tess. Welcome to the world of blogdom. Enjoy. Commenting on other blogs is a great way to 'get' the blog experience. it's a world wide conversation that's unfolding. Now you're a part of it. woot, woot. catch you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Peter. I'm really enjoying this and will try to search everyone's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tess, you have done well and have enjoyed visiting ur blog.U must be sooooo glad that ur computer issues have now been resolved and that u can get into ur NET11. All the best Tess.....

    Enjoy Your Week

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ashna, very relieved indeed. Am hoping it doesn't crash again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tess,

    Thanks for your comments on my blog
    Yours looks great too, i liked your opinion(in you 5 things) about making it colourful and not too long, i tend to overdo it a bit as im a bit obsesive lol

    ive added you to my Blogroll ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tess,

    well they say "strength through adversity".

    Well done for getting on board. I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tess,

    Thanks for visiting my blog :) you seem to be off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tess,

    Thanks for visiting my blog :) You seem to be off to a good start. CYA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wednesday December 10

    At the moment I am still rebuilding my computer when things come up.

    For example, I couldn't read anything for another course because I didn't have Adobe Acrobat Reader anymore, so had to download it.
    This isn't normally an issue, but when you aren't so sure when your computer will next 'freak out', it's quite anxiety-producing!

    As a consequence, I'm a bit tentative about the Telnet and other tasks, but will probably try them out on Friday.

    This afternoon I'm teaching students who are sitting their music exams at my house on Thurs 11th Dec, then I need to finish compiling a Student Year Book I publish for my students each year (lost a lot of info I had already typed up, in the crash).

    So I'm apologising in advance for my unavailability for the next 2 days...catch-up with you all on Friday 12th!

    ReplyDelete