Saturday, December 27, 2008

Module 1: FTP File Transfer Protocol Task - Read Me File


At left is the second image: the Read Me File.
The correct answer to the question is:
CAPITALIZATION MATTERS.
Now that I have been able to get the desired outcome, I'm pretty happy.
Just to let you all know however, it did take me quite a while to find the file. I almost ended up downloading someone called 'Rob's photos (in fact the bottom of the screen tells me that I did download them, but I haven't checked to see if that's actually true!).
I just kept clicking away on all the yellow folders until 'Read Me' popped up. I think I actually missed it the first time because I forgot to scroll down (pesky things!). I actually found the Read Me file on my third trip through the folders.
My reflections on this task are mixed.
If I hadn't read previous posts, I am unsure that I would have understood how to log in to Filezilla. Basically, I feel I would have tried to fill all 4 boxes at the top of the screen - with personal passwords, despite the course notes tellin us otherwise. Thanks Rhys for putting up your helpful hints!
On a happier note, I successfully travelled through this task and it only took me an hour :) Joy!

The NET11 curriculum says that FTP was used for large file transfers, like people who were setting up or refurbishing their Websites.
The concept of asynchronicity was also mentioned in the curriculum - the fact that although you are sending your information now, the person receiving the information may not receive it immediately.
Having had no previous experience with this, I found it very strange but can see the usefulness. I also read somewhere (should have been paying more attention!) that people still use FTP for illegally (I think) transferring movies.
Maybe that's how people are able to get copies of movies to play at home, that are still in the cinemas here?

No comments:

Post a Comment