Saturday, December 27, 2008

Module 1; Internet Tools Task Reflections

Again, I am indebted to the discussion board for helpful tips.

I managed to follow all the steps and the whole process was relatively effortless.

The hardest part was trying to obtain clear images of the screen in order to verify the routes taken.

In fact, I hope that I have correctly understood the data.

The CentralOps site also gave a graph of the route taken, although as yet it has not been necessary to analyze it.

Unsure how I could use this in my everyday dealings, but I noticed (while perusing the Module Tasks still to be attempted), that I might need this skill in future.

It is, however, quite fascinating to see the path that a simple request takes to get from one computer to another.

What is even more fascinating, is that it takes a fraction of a second (does 'ms' stand for 'millisecond'?) to travel across all those other stations!!!

The world is VERY amazing.

2 comments:

  1. In relation to the hops why do you think there are so many? What does it do to the speed of the Internet? Or its reliability? How does this architecture support the operation of the net? Don't have to provide an answer here but it will help you have a great conversation at a barby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peter, will give these some thought...you're right...a great conversation starter...

    ReplyDelete